Monday, October 5, 2009

A Good Marriage

"A good marriage must be created.
In marriage the little things are the big things...
It is never being too old to hold hands,
It is remembering to say "I love you" at least once a day,
It is never going to sleep angry,
It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives,
It is standing together and facing the world,
It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family,
It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways,
It is having the capacity to forgive and forget,
It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow,
It is a common search for the good and the beautiful,
It is not only marrying the right person, it is being the right partner."

-excerpt from "The Art of a Good Marriage by Wilferd Arlan Peterson

Two years ago, on this day, Kyle and I were married. During the ceremony, these words were read aloud by Kyle's grandfather, Don Clayton, to 140 of our closest friends and family. Who better to read these words than a man that has been married to the same woman for more than 60 years. Other than being officially declared "Mr. and Mrs. Brown" for the first time , this was my favorite part.

I remember standing there and making a concerted effort to hear these words- to absorb them into this new view of the world from that moment on. I was marrying my life partner. There was nothing that I wanted more in that moment and nothing since that moment, than to give this union the utmost respect, to always put it first and above all else- just to get it right and keep it that way. I make it a point to read these words at least once a week. It puts me back in my place when other, less important issues, begin clouding my eyes. I love my husband more than any other human being on this earth- yes, even our children. I believe that's the way it is supposed to be. Our relationship doesn't always come first- that continues to be a work in progress- but we're getting better.

"It is standing together and facing the world"- this line floors me every time. When I think of how scary life can be- the unexpected peering just around the corner- tragedy waiting to erupt at a time when we're most content; the grueling gnawing in my stomach is eased more than I can explain just knowing that I won't have to face anything without my husband. He is strength beyond anything I have ever known. He is my keeper of cool and my sanctuary of solidity. He is my rock.

I can't begin to describe my excitement and anticipation for the years to come- always being careful, however, not to dream away the present. Here we are two years into holy matrimony and I wonder how it can get any better- but with a full understanding that it most certainly will. So here's a look back at our beautiful wedding- where it all started- if only officially and legally. And a big Thank You to my husband for making it the most magical day of my life.

Enjoy a few of my favorite pics- courtesy of Kate Crafton Photography.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Life is funny. Sometimes it's the complete opposite. This is my best attempt at trying to capture it all...