Thursday, January 28, 2010

Only in the South





Being from the South is one of my two favorite things about me. The second is that every once in a while, if I'm sitting a certain way, at the right weight (only works if I'm 150 or less), with the right lighting, someone looks at me and says, "You know, you kind of look like Jennifer Aniston." Really! It's happened 4 TIMES!!!

Being from the South affords you all sorts of shenanigans like losing your voice screaming and cursing at a football game one day and teaching Sunday School the next. Being from the South makes it ok to make vodka that tastes like sweet tea and market it as the nostalgic reflections of your childhood (Firefly- If you haven't tried it- go get some. Now.) Being from the South makes you realize just how beautiful southern women really are. And how... when they speak, if only on occasion, every syllable is made of molasses, every word is its own song, and every sentence makes you want to write it down- just so you never forget it.
And not to leave out our classy southern gentleman; your smooth, sultry rednecklish is pretty irresistable too...

I'd like to make this a seriers of sorts- to have a place to write down memories, old sayings, wives tales, quotes, whatever. But I don't want them to come from just me. I want any of you to send me some examples of a Southerner speaking southern- or rednecklish- in every context of the word. And I'll share them in a future posts. Send me your southern story at bsmith_23@yahoo.com

I love love love the magazine 'Real Simple'- and in the October 2009 issue, they featured readers quotes on the question, "What does home mean to you?"

And here was my favorite...

"What does home mean to me? A pantry, fully stocked with jars of pickles, jams and fruits, all perserved by friends, family members and me. Home is going into that pantry, leaning against its shelves, which are probably a little dusty, popping open a Mason Jar of homemade apple butter, and eating it right there, out of the jar with a long iced-tea spoon."
-Victoria Fedden
Ft. Lauderdale, FL



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Life is funny. Sometimes it's the complete opposite. This is my best attempt at trying to capture it all...